Subscribe to get tough, fair journalism seven days a week.
Subscribe today

Candle triggers Keizer house fire

A fire ignited by an unattended candle scorched a Keizer bedroom Thursday, Oct. 28, and caused approximately $2,000 in damages.

Firefighters responded to a single family home at 4686 Rivercrest Drive N., where a caller reported hearing popping noises and seeing smoke was coming from the furnace vents.  Upon arrival fire fighters saw light smoke inside the residence. While searching the home, they located the fire in a bedroom.

The fire was quickly extinguished and the closed bedroom door  minimized the spread of smoke. The fire caused damage to the room and contents.

One individual who was home at the time of the fire was transported to Salem Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

A total of one engine, two ambulances, one duty officer and thirteen firefighters responded to the scene.

The Keizer Fire District reminds area residents to take care when using candles, and offered the following tips:

• Nearly half of all candle fires start in the bedroom. Do not use candles in the bedroom.

• Always keep candles clear of flammable material or liquids. A good rule is to allow at least three feet from anything that can burn.

• Keep candles out of drafts that blow flames towards flammable materials.

• Always use stable and secure candle holders.

• Never leave candles unattended, for even short periods of time.

• Extinguish candles with care. Do not allow them to burn below two inches above the rim of the holder. Make sure wicks are dead out.

• Teach children, that like matches and lighters, candles must be handled by adults with care.

• Never permit youngsters or teens to have candles in their bedrooms.