Subscribe to get tough, fair journalism seven days a week.
Subscribe today

Day: February 21, 2013

Fire causes 100K in damages

Photo submitted by Keizer Fire District
Photo submitted by Keizer Fire District

An early morning house fire severely damaged the home of a Keizer resident and engulfed the family’s two cars before being extinguished Thursday, Feb. 21.

Heavy black smoke and flames were coming from the residence at 1764 Chemawa Road N.E. When Keizer Fire District crews arrived on the scene at 1:04 a.m., five minutes after receiving the original report. Two cars parked in the driveway were also engulfed in flames. Fire crews entered the structure and had the fire extinguished by 1:15 am.

The owner of the home, Craig Spivey, told KFD officials that he was sitting at his computer when went to investigate noises coming from the garage. When he opened the back door of his home, he was met with heavy smoke and flames. Spivey closed the door, alerted his wife and two young children of the danger, and called 9-1-1 while exiting the home.

The fire started in the garage of the residence, which was destroyed. The living room and back bedroom sustained heavy smoke and fire damage and the remaining portions of the home suffered heavy smoke damage. Damage to the structure and its contents were estimated to be more than $100,000.

Fire Chief Jeff Cowan commends his crews for stopping the fire so quickly. “They were able to keep the fire damage to a minimum and extinguished the fire in less than ten minutes.”

No one was injured during the incident, but one cat died from smoke inhalation in the fire and other pets survived. Three engines, two medics, one ladder truck, one duty officer vehicle, and 18 firefighters responded to the incident.

Fire officials would like to remind residents to check their smoke alarms monthly and to practice having two ways out of their home in case of a fire.