Subscribe to get tough, fair journalism seven days a week.
Subscribe today

Life sentence issued in Valentine’s Day murder

Of the Keizertimes

Timothy Calloway, one of two men charged in connection with the homicide of Jerrid Goodpaster on Feb. 14, 2016, was found guilty of murder, robbery and unlawful use of a weapon in Marion County Court last week.

On Thursday, June 6, Calloway waived his right to a jury trial in front of Judge Courtland Geyer and was found guilty on all three of the original charges stemming from the incident. On Tuesday, June 13, Geyer issued lifetime sentence with a minimum of 25 years before Calloway is eligible for parole.

Timothy Bernard Calloway

A court document provides details of the day of the murder that began with arranging a marijuana transaction.

Calloway and Diontay Wilson, drove to Keizer in the car of Calloway’s girlfriend to make the deal and decided en route to steal Goodpaster’s marijuana and cell phone.

The transaction was set to take place in the Starbucks parking lot at Keizer Station. Once they arrived, Wilson was driving and Calloway was in the front passenger seat.

Goodpaster was told to get in the back seat of the car when he approached the pair and Calloway told the court he pointed a .40 caliber semi-automatic handgun at him. Wilson told Goodpaster of their intent to rob him and Goodpaster pulled a .22 caliber revolver from his jacket.

Wilson turned in his seat and began hitting Goodpaster and Calloway fired three shots: one through the back of the car, one into the car seat and one into Goodpaster that hit him in the left side and exited through the right side of his body.

Goodpaster was later transported to Salem Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Using cell phone pings and information from an informant, Keizer police officers determined that Calloway and Wilson drove the vehicle to Clackamas and abandoned the car with a shattered rear windshield. Police also found a debit card in Calloway’s name, a .40 caliber cartridge, marijuana, a spent .40 caliber bullet and Goodpaster’s glasses.

Calloway and Wilson were arrested in Eugene the next day. Wilson dropped a .40 caliber handgun and its magazine while running from police. Goodpaster’s .22 was found in the house where the men had spent the night.

In November 2016, Wilson was convicted of robbery in connection with the incident.